Observing Juneteenth, 2020
In honor of Juneteenth, our team compiled some educational resources about what this day means and how it came to be.
If you’re joining us in the deeper discovery of our nation’s full history – seeking to understand Juneteenth more fully – we invite you to read and share these resources, and we encourage the support of black-owned bookstores in the DC area as well.
What is Juneteenth?
- 13th on YouTube by Netflix (video)
- The massacre of Tulsa’s “Black Wall Street” (Vox video)
- Rapper Killer Mike: We could avoid 100 more years of racial turmoil by doing the right thing now (WP video)
- Usher’s video in the Washington Post
Recommended book list:
- Black is the Body: Stories from My Grandmother’s Time, My Mother’s Time, and Mine
- Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own
- How to Be an Antiracist
- Spectacle: The Astonishing Life of Ota Benga
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Black-owned independent bookstores: